Tuesday 18 February 2014

Starburst!...

Hello!

No, I'm not talking about the tasty sweets...my card is a rainbow starburst!!  

I'll be honest, I'm not sure about this card yet.  When I started I thought it was going to look 'awesome'...of course I did, why would I bother making it otherwise?!  Well, I'm not sure awesome is the right word for it now, more 'hmmm, maybe?!'  I'll leave it up to you to make up your own minds...

This card was inspired by the sketch challenge at STAMPlorations.  I was a little bit liberal with the sketch, I turned it on its side and extended the starburst all the way round rather than the controlled rays of the sketch...I hope it still counts!!

So, here's the card...



I got this lotus flower stamp (set!) yesterday (sshhhh, don't tell him!!  I don't think he can hear me from here?!  He he!) and I couldn't wait to use it!!  Isn't it pretty?!!  I'm sure there are much better applications for it than this, but it's a start!  ;)

It took a little while to work out where I wanted my 'rays' to go and I made little template using tracing paper to make sure the lines fell between the lotus petals.  Once I'd cut them all out though it didn't take long to stick them all down and then heat emboss the lotus flower on top.  A few rhinestones later (thank you to my lovely sister for the sparkly Christmas present - my family know me too well!) and I was done!

Here's the sketch...




As you can see, I also omitted the sentiment part too...it wasn't going to fit anywhere without ruining it so I left it out  :)  Thank you to Cornelia for pointing me in the direction of STAMPlorations - I hadn't come across this fabulous blog before!  Another one to add to the list...I'm never going to keep up with all the challenges I want to partake in!!!  ;)


ETA:  Thank you to Carol for pointing out that my little card would also be eligible for A Blog Named Hero's Roy G. Biv challenge - woohoo!  (I did have a look at the Just Us Girls challenge, however that was to choose three colours and a neutral - I have used a few more than that!!)



Thank you, as always guys, for stopping by my little blog...I hope you know I appreciate it ;)












Supplies
Card:      Paper Mill Direct - White, Black, Bright Red, Citrus Orange, Daffodil Yellow, Spring Green, 
                       Ocean Blue, Grape, Lilac
Stamps: Clear Impressions - Cherry Blossom
Ink:        VersaColor - Black
Other:    WOW! - Ebony e/p; rhinestones

9 comments:

  1. lovely card sian, love the starburst rainbow, i too agree with you on the sentiment part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your interpretation of the sketch, I love it when you add on your own spin on sketches and this is just fabulous. I have just found your blog through Stamp and do love what I see! Thanks for joining us at Stamplorations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking liberties with sketches is absolutely fine in my book, and I love your interpretation! Thanks so much for joining us at STAMPlorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous, my dear Sian, absolutely fabulous! You've added you own pizzazz, style and flair to the sketch; the rainbow colours are the perfect canvas for your lotus' debut. The sparkles: perfect special touch! Gorgeous! Before I forget: Just Us Girls and A Blog Named Hero both have versions of rainbow colours as challenges (the latter is totally a Roy. G. Biv invite), so I think this pretty gem should head to those directions. Let that talent and creativity of yours SHINE brightly through the bloggy universe! My husband only knows about my stamps in a general way (ummm...occupying the kitchen counter, for the most part), but if he 'happens' to notice something that 'might" be new, I simply respond with, "This? I've had it for ages...". He's yet to take inventory, so I'm pretty safe with that *grin* Your comments on my blog, Sian: so awesome! Yes, I do spend significant time crafting...it's pretty much all I do outside of work, especially when the weather is icky and my husband is away. I really should read a book now and then...go for a walk...Anyway: LOVE this card and I'm off to see what awaits on your next post...See you soon! Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had me at rainbow... Amazing how you arranged it the way that it's always between petals and that the whole thing is totally balanced! Very cool! And not every card needs a sentiment, IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how the STAMPlorations sketch inspired you. I'm all about ROYGBIV ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stuh-unnning, Sian! I adore the way you have meticulously placed the rays of your bright rainbow between the petals of the lotus! This one is extraordinary!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great take on the sketch! The colours are so vibrant! Thanks so much for playing along at STAMPlorations! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a great take on the sketch- love the bright look. Thanks for playing along with Stamplorations Challenges, x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to leave a comment on my blog...it's appreciated more than you know ;)

I am afraid I have had so many spam comments that I have had to disable anonymous commenting - please feel free to email me on sianridley@gmail.com though if you're having trouble leaving a comment :) Thank you!